Training safely with Camden Kempo
At Camden Shorinji Kempo we are committed to keeping you safe.
Our Health and Safety Officer (elected each year in our January AGM) oversees all aspects of the club’s safety. This includes conducting risk assessments, sourcing first aid equipment, and making sure all members are aware of our safeguarding protocols.
As we practice full-contact martial arts, it is possible that you will collect some bruises when training with a partner. However, by following our rules and the BSKF Guidelines we can both stay safe and train hard!
The BSKF “Guidelines for Effective Training” remind us:
- Train at your own level
- If you feel tired, overwhelmed, or in pain then please stop! It is always okay to ask the instructor to slow down, or to take some time out.
- Clean Dogi’s
- One way that we show respect when training in person is by making sure we wear clean training clothes.
- Tie up long hair, remove any jewelry and keep your nails short. This prevents you from harming a partner by accidentally scratching them, or getting tangled when we practice grappling!
Qualified Insured Instructors
Our instructors are qualified and insured under the BSKF. At Camden we follow all their regulations diligently. This included the process of coming back in-person post pandemic. We also actively contribute to the running of BSKF so that our clubs safety needs are met.
We train in-person twice a week. Our Holborn Hall Community Centre venue has lot of space and we have exclusive use of the venue. Therefore we advertise this as our beginners class (but adjust depending on who shows up).
First Aid Trained
Our regular instructors are first aid trained. We hold the training at the club and invite members of our federation BSKF. In addition a number of our regular students are first aid trained through their day jobs. Everyone at the club is encouraged to qualify and our subsided course is open to everyone. Sign Up.
LGBTQIA at Camden Kempo
Did you know that – One in five LGBTQIA+ young people (18 to 24) experienced discrimination while exercising at a fitness club or at a sports group? Or that 3 in 10 trans people have been discriminated against while exercising at a fitness club or taking part in group sports (Stonewall). We are a proud LGBTQIA+ club and will always strive to welcome everyone through our online and real doors! We will continue in our efforts to get fit and practice self-defense and mindfulness together.
Inclusivity at Camden Kempo
As part of our pledge to make Shorinji Kempo more inclusive at Camden Shorinji Kempo we:
- always strive to use your preferred gender pronouns
- have gender-neutral toilets available at Camden Dance Academy and Accessible toilets at Holborn House.
- are able to offer hardship discounts that do not require proof
- can organise British Sigh Language translators at no extra cost
- provide wheelchair access at Holborn House.
- And if we do happen to have missed something you need, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Safeguarding – Children
Camden Branch Master Sensei Kavita is qualified under the BSKF safeguarding policies. If you are under 18 and would like to train with Sensei Kavita please email email@example.com